Thursday, December 4, 2008

Apple Announces Release of Netflix's Instant Video Feature

Apple (AAPL) announced today that it has released the Netflix (NFLX) "Watch Instantly" feature for all Mac users. This has been in the works for months and Apple released this service to a small group of users in October to test the program.

Netflix wanted to make this available sooner, however they said the lack of support from the Apple team slowed down the release considerably.

The only issue is if you do not have the minimum system requirements (Intel Mac running OS X 10.4.8 or higher, and at least one GB of RAM), then you are out of luck. You must also install the Microsoft Silverlight plugin if you haven't done that already. Watch Instantly works in Safari 3 or better and Firefox 2 or higher.

I myself have the Netflix unlimited plan and a Mac, so I don't see myself leaving the house anytime soon. This will most likely put the final nail in the coffin of my already unfortunate social life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i was very excited to read this, so i went right over to my netflix account to try it out, but according to the site the 'watch instantly' feature is still only available for PC users.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMessage?lnkctr=wnph_sysreqs&msg=51

Anonymous said...

That's Strange. I've been watching Netflix instant streaming on my macbook pro for the last 2 months....hmm...